Thursday 28 May 2009

yum yum yum... News in Bitesize Chunks!

** BT to shed a further 15,000 jobs!
** Spanish Economy shrinks rapidly!
** US April retail sales fall 0.4%!
** Hitachi posts record annual loss!
** Sharp fall in exports from China!

These are some of the headlines under “Global recession”. The list goes on! We are always hearing about the credit crunch and the media is scaring us with all of their stories about businesses going bust, people losing their houses and lots of job losses.

I don’t know much about how the credit crunch happened or why. If I’m honest I wouldn’t really care about it if it weren’t for the news bombarding me with it!
Should we be scared by the recession? I don’t believe we should. God has his hand on every situation. The Bible says, "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." (Isaiah 58:11)
and "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matt 7:9-11)
You might think that God supplying for peoples’ needs is only a thing that happened in the Bible. Manna falling from heaven doesn’t generally happen these days! But I believe that God’s promises are as real today as they were back then.

It seems as if we can get by without God’s help in these times because when we are short of money we can do overtime or sell some of our stuff on Ebay. But when we really, really need him he will step in and help us out.
My mum has told me a couple stories about how God put food on our table. One of those was when both my parents were unemployed, they had no money at all, not even enough to buy my brother and I something for dinner and the cupboards were empty! My mum broke down and cried out to God, saying “You say you’ll supply us with what we need, but how come I can’t even afford to feed my kids?!” Then the neighbour came knocking on the door to tell her that her freezer had broken, that she didn’t know what to do with the food and would we be able to make use of it?! How cool is that?!
God listens to our cries and he steps in when we ask him.I really believe that the credit crunch is an amazing opportunity for us to learn to rely on God, like he intended for us to do. So give your financial troubles and job worries up to God and trust in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment